Live Arts is Hiring
Located in Downtown, Charlottesville, VA, Live Arts is a community-based volunteer-driven theater with fearless, wide-ranging programming of high aesthetic value. In its 27th year, Live Arts is conducting a search for a full-time Director of Development and a part-time Marketing Director
Director of Development
In partnership with Live Arts Producing Artistic Director and Board, the Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of Live Arts’ fundraising including, the major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, special events, capital campaigns, and sponsorship.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Major Gifts Fundraising Activities
- Work independently and creatively to match donor interests with institutional priorities, develop funding proposals and negotiate and structure major gifts.
- Prepare briefings, stewardship plans, and other correspondence for prospects, collaborating as necessary with the Producing Artistic Director. Solicit an annual gift from each prospect, while appropriately advising major/planned gift discussions.
- Motivate and support volunteer involvement with a structured donor qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plan.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of Live Arts’ fundraising priorities, including mainstage, foundry, and educational programs.
- Coordinate annual giving campaigns in a sophisticated and effective fashion to reach and exceed annual targets while strengthening donor and company relations. Manage a prospect pool with annual goals for personal visits and giving outcomes.
- Take a leading role in the planning and implementation of the corporate sponsorship program.
- Secure sponsorship targets by identifying, cultivating, and developing leads and prospects, negotiating contracts and packages, closing deals, and providing account management.
- Coordinate with marketing director to ensure proper ad placement and donor recognition in programs, posters, and other published materials.
Event and Volunteer Management.
- Together with the Live Arts Board and the PAD, organize fundraising events, including the annual Live Arts Gala.
- Oversee organization and fundraising strategy of other special events.
- Administration of prospect management and fundraising activities to ensure the timely capture and recording of data relating to identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of prospects in the assigned prospect pool.
- Develop and monitor relationship-tracking mechanisms for monitoring designated prospect involvement at Live Arts.
- Follow best practices in gift acknowledgment, following ADRP recommendations for policies, processes, and timeliness.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required)
- Required experience: No fewer than 3 years of experience in similar responsibilities.
- A distinguished professional and team player with a strong track record of securing significant gifts and philanthropic commitments at increasing levels, and success managing complex relationships, preferably in an arts setting.
- High personal standards are required, including excellent organizational, written and oral skills. Ability to work cooperatively with various groups of people is also required.
- The successful candidate should enjoy working with people and work well under pressure. S/he should also have demonstrated the ability to manage multiple and complex projects, meet deadlines and adapt to changing priorities and needs.
- Strategic and goal-oriented, knowledgeable about capital campaigns and experienced with major gifts.
- Frequent evening and weekend work is required.
- This position requires knowledge of basic computer skills and programs, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of and/or willingness and ability to quickly learn additional software applications, such as Salesforce.
This position reports to the Producing Artistic Director. The annual salary will be commensurate with experience. Live Arts offers benefits, including low-cost parking and full health insurance coverage for full-time employees.
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume via email by July 15 to BreeLuck, Producing Artistic Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately. The position becomes available August 2017 and will remain open until filled. Live Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and members of minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Live Arts Marketing Director
Part-Time, 25 hours per week.
Seeking organized individual with great writing/editing skills, fluency with printing techniques/graphic design platforms, solid computer and website design skills, and proficiency with e-marketing to manage brand and communications for growing community theater. Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines, work with large volunteer pool, and thrive in a fast-paced environment. Competitive salary.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Conceptualizing, designing and producing, and disseminating print/web media related to Live Arts. This includes branding, logo design, Foundry and Audition posters, print ads, direct mail, email campaigns, signage and web-related media.
- Working with the contracted graphic designer to produce the Mainstage Season Brochure and Posters.
- Developing and implementing marketing, public relations, and advertising strategies to achieve the organization’s earned income and branding goals, while adhering to a limited budget.
- Developing a message calendar for regular e-newsletters and social media posts. Writing and sending the e-newsletters and updating social media pages. Developing special promotions to drive ticket sales and production awareness.
- Redesigning the Live Arts website to reflect current trends. Maintaining and making regular updates to the Live Arts website.
- Working with the PAD and Development Director to ensure that sponsors receive appropriate recognition.
- Working with the PAD and Production Manager to ensure that accurate and relevant information is included in all materials.
- Managing media relationships. Working with the PAD to write and distribute press releases.
- Working with the PAD to conduct and analyze regular and special surveys to gather information about audience reaction to specific productions, demographics, and other patron behavior.
- Marketing Experience: Knowledge of and experience with marketing principles, especially as they relate to the non-profit arts market.
- Computer skills: Must be proficient in Illustrator, Photoshop, HTML/code, etc.
- Priority Management: Must manage multiple projects concurrently, keeping a keen eye on details while juggling various priorities.
- Ability to adapt to changing situations and creatively problem-solve is key.
- Report and Budget Analysis: Ability to generate and meaningfully analyze reports in MS Excel.
- Communication/Writing: Must possess strong writing skills for multiple audiences – radio ad copy, press releases, show descriptions, brochure copy, e-newsletter communication, social networking updates.
- Education & Experience: 1-3 years marketing experience, preferably in the performing arts.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing or related field preferred.
- Knowledge of and passion for the performing arts, specifically theater, is preferred.
- Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, letter of interest, contact info for three references and a relevant writing and graphic design sample via email to email@example.com by July 15 with “Marketing Director” in the subject heading.Review of applications will begin immediately. The position becomes available September 2017 and will remain open until filled.
Live Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women and members of minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.