Melanin Auditions: SHORT EYES
by Miguel Piñero/ directed by Javier Figueroa-Ray/ In FOUNDERS THEATER
Audition Date: Sunday, May 4, 2014 at 7pm
Rehearsals Start: May 7, 2014- Rehearsal times based on the cast’s schedules
Performance Dates: May 23 & May 24, 2014
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE PLAY
Short Eyes pulsates at the intersection of race, class and sin. The prison population of the House of Detention has painfully forged lines of racial demarcation. On this day, those borders are challenged by the entrance of a WASP whose race, class and crime create new fault lines.
LOOKING FOR: 12 male and female actors of any age. The characters are all men, divided equally between Puerto Rican, Black and White, but we are open to seeing actors of all genders and ethnicities. Ability to speak Spanish is a plus; some of the characters speak it briefly. The content of the play is raw and adult, so if you’re a teen actor you should consider that.
This is a great opportunity for newer actors and experienced alike. The rehearsal load will be light (twice a week). If you’ve never acted before, this is your chance to get your foot into the door of theater.
PERFORMANCES Friday, May 23 and Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 8pm.
LOCATION Performances take place in the Live Arts Rehearsal A (4th Floor) at 123 East Water Street; the corner of 2nd SE and Water off the Downtown Mall.
REHEARSALS begin the week of May 7th. Rehearsal times based on the collaborator’s combined schedules. Rehearsals increase as we get closer to to the event.
Contact Ray to sign up to audition.
- Sunday, May 4th
- We’ve set up half-hour audition slots for 3 people per slot
- Choose 7pm, 7:30pm, 8:00pm, 8:30pm, or 9:00pm
- If you cannot attend, let Ray know – we may be able to schedule a different time
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- You will be asked to read a short scene from the script (called a “side” – short bits of dialogue for each character)
- At auditions, you will be asked to write down your schedule and conflicts for the rehearsal and performance period. Please bring your calendar and be thorough!