PART-TIME JANITOR POSITION
Live Arts in downtown Charlottesville is looking for a part-time janitor or custodian to take care of our four-story theater building and off-site rehearsal space and carry out cleaning and maintenance duties. Those duties include cleaning floors, sanitizing restroom facilities, and collecting trash to ensure that the building’s three nonprofit tenants have a clean, inviting space to work.
- Clean and disinfect bathrooms and empty trash daily
- Vacuum office and third floor lobby carpet weekly or as needed; steam-clean annually
- Wipe down high-touch surfaces on each floor daily
- Empty trash daily during shows, weekly otherwise
- Restock supplies in bathrooms daily or as needed
- Replace lightbulbs in private spaces as needed
- Wipe down kitchen weekly
- Dust designated areas monthly
- Sweep and mop floors weekly and after special events
- Stock and maintain supply room
- Sweep front and side sidewalks weekly
- Wash main floor lobby windows and doors weekly during shows
- Keep common space (first floor lobby and bathroom) clean for other tenants
- Notify the supervisor of needed repairs and/or make minor repairs
- Sweep dumpster area monthly and keep it uncluttered
- Clean Rehearsal Z space and bathroom weekly during production
- Comply with all health and safety procedures established by OSHA; state, local and federal authorities; and Live Arts
- Carry out special projects as requested
- Previous janitorial experience preferred, but not required
- High school degree or equivalent preferred
- Ability to walk or stand for extended periods of time, lift up to 50 pounds, and climb stairs.
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, cleaning chemicals and supplies
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, Material Safety Data Sheets
- High integrity
- Ability to work independently
Monday-Friday, 2-3 hours/day plus some weekends during shows or special events. Hours vary by month, based on activity in the building.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position. The pay is $12/hour plus benefits (health, dental, vision, paid time off, flexible schedule)
Send an email expressing interest and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Live Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Live Arts
Powered by more than 1,200 volunteers, Live Arts has become a national model for engaged community theater. Our connection to the community runs deep, and the caliber of our volunteer-staged productions often rivals that of professional theaters.
In a typical year, we present a compelling season of seven mainstage plays and musicals. We welcome hundreds of people to our year-round education workshops and youth summer camps. We run a lab that helps local playwrights develop their work. And for nearly two decades, we have provided tech support to high school and college theater companies performing at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in Scotland. Our work is supported by ticket revenue, program fees, sponsorships, grants, individual giving, and events. Most programming is available to community members on a pay-what-you-can basis.